This week I am making butter lattes. Yes, you read that correctly.
Created by mind/body hacker and founder of Bulletproof Executive Dave Asprey, Bulletproof coffee is a blend of black coffee, butter (grass-fed, of course) and coconut oil (or MCT oil). Dave discovered the rejuvenating effects of butter when mountain climbing in Tibet when he was fed tea made with yak butter.
He claims that drinking Bulletproof coffee will give you more energy, mental clarity and brain function, plus it will keep you satisfied for hours. I’ve spoken to people who say the healthy fats also prolong the effects of the coffee, without the ‘buzz’.
My friend Tom in Berlin introduced me to it, and I’ve been making it every day since I got back to NYC. I quite like the taste – it’s nice and creamy but it doesn’t make me bloat like a regular milky latte. Do I feel bulletproof? Time will tell!
How to make Bulletproof Coffee
You will need (for one cup):
- Good quality freshly ground coffee (Dave recommends as ‘clean’ and un-toxic as possible)
- 1-2 tbsp organic butter from grass-fed cows (I got mine from Whole Foods)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil
- Blender or stick blender
How to make it:
- Brew your coffee in a French press or pour-over for 4 minutes
- Pop the coffee, butter and oil in your blender (or small saucepan if using a stick blender)
- Blend for 20-30 seconds until nice and frothy
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
* If you’re just starting out, maybe reduce the amount of fat, then gradually increase. I’ve just been using 1 tbsp of each fat.
* Apparently it takes about a week for your body to get used to burning the fats and to feel the effects. I’m still waiting for my butter latte euphoria. So if you don’t feel any different, stick with it!
* Dave recommends this as a replacement for breakfast. I guess if you’re eating 2 tablespoons of butter, you don’t really need anything else!
* I also want to wish my darling Mum a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!! If I was in Melbourne I would make a very special extra-bulletproof coffee just for you! xx
Have you tried Bulletproof coffee? Or do you plan to? Tell me about your experience in the comments below!